So what has happened that I want to make another post about “Cybersecurity News”?
- Microsoft states they will implement the new CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act) across the nation by January 1, 2020 https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2019/11/11/microsoft-california-privacy-rights/ November 11)
- 68000 patients of Methodist hospital impacted by Phishing attack (By HIPAA Journal) (October 17) https://www.hipaajournal.com/68000-patients-of-methodist-hospitals-impacted-by-phishing-attack/
- Domain Registrar Network Solutions discloses breach – although no credit card information was accessed there was account information from their data. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/worlds-first-domain-registrar-network-solutions-discloses-breach/ (October 30)
- DoorDash confirmed a data breach with a third party vendor exposing 4.9 mil customers, workers or merchants. (September 26) https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/26/doordash-data-breach/
- Zynga was breached, a mobile game maker claimed a hacker accessed 218 million user records. (September 30, 2019)
- Facebook database users’ phone numbers found online. https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/04/facebook-phone-numbers-exposed/ (September 4)
What does it mean to the regular Internet user, when large breaches happen?
First of all if you are affected then you will be notified (or should be) within a certain amount of time (depends on state – could be a few weeks). What about if one is not affected? I.e. there was no direct user under the breaches noted now one is affected because the general nature of the criminals is that they try and sell the data to other attackers. Here is where even a remote user or infrequent access user of the service may have data in the criminal database. And there is also another ‘affect’. the Darknet now has all of these databases of the breaches. So the criminal empire has just enriched themselves with some more datapoints to send out yet more spam and phishing attempts.
So my contention is when breaches occur the criminal empire grows and our life gets harder. We have to continually evolve to keep up defenses with the new attacks generated by the criminal hacker.
What does it really mean when 218million accounts are accessed by hackers?
Or 4.9 million customers/workers/merchants?
68000 patients data was accessed by a hacker!
And to top it all off Microsoft wants to help us implement CCPA across the nation.
Contact me to discuss