If you are a small business owner, you may be thinking: “Why would we get hacked? We are not such a huge company and we could not possibly have anything that the hackers want. I don’t see how a hacker can do things against us when we are very good at managing our infrastructure.”
Maybe so, but then again, maybe not. Think again.
Cyber defense is not a minor concept that any business owner can just dismiss as this can post a grave threat even to the simplest business type. Let’s dig deeper and discuss in plain language what you may need to know with regards to your Cyber security.
Ask yourself these questions: Do you run computers in your business and have a domain that you maintain, or servers that are connected all the time to the Internet? Do you use computers to look-up websites or to generate more leads and to process online payments via credit cards for your customers?
In other words, if you are you using computers to perform business processes for standard uses in the delivery of marketing, sales or servicing your clients, — which of course, you most probably are, it is imperative that you must give time to review and protect your hard earned assets. As most businesses get more efficient by using computers and software that help facilitate the business, Cyber protection is also a must for your industrial infrastructure.
All these are quite basic, so why do I mention these? What is it then, that can happen to your computers without the proper cyber defense? Here are some truths below.
- Malicious software may potentially insert itself into your computer and into your system causing:
- Slow computers
- It could be that the hacker is now on your computer and is using it to attack others
- It could be that the computer is now running bitcoin mining software that it may get the hacker money
- A Computer that freezes
- Reboots the computer
- Ransomware encrypts all your files making your computer inoperable
- Hacker software may get installed into your website causing:
- Hackers collect info from everyone that visits your website (clients or potential) so they can send well crafted emails to snare your clients or your clients’ client
- Installation of ads that can mount malware (malicious software) on anyone that visits your website
- The software that is installed on your website can be invisible to the eye, yet it does its work for the hacker
- Cloud environment has different threats:
- Other cloud customers could see your information
- Hacker software gets installed in the cloud that you use to steal or alter business information that can be silent until it’s too late
Risk management in the age of Cyberattacks.
The problem with constant threats of Cyberattack is that one has to work on the highest risk to counteract on first. Large scale companies (those of more than 1000 employees) have Cyber Security Departments who review specific security threats, depending on their environment, business portfolio or on their technological situations and hire accordingly.
To ensure that you have what you need to do in this day of higher risks and unknown attacks, it is always beneficial if you perform information security reviews or infrastructure checks more regularly, by a qualified technological individual.
You don’t need to go far to talk to a professional. Contact Us and we’ll help you identify your potential infrastructure hazards, vulnerable computers and potentially high technological risk situations.